Sunday, July 1, 2012

What's Your Digits? Redux

So mine beloved white hole Strawberry Singh asked us around this time last year to share our vital statistics, and of course me being me I shared... just the one. It said "9.5"

Referring to the length of my hair at the time, of course.

Berry has reconsidered and reposted the digits challenge this year to see how much of a community impact the onset of mesh has had. Occasionally - if pressed - I can take things seriously, so this year I've chipped in.

DIGITS

I used the avatar ruler that she suggested, and it had the smartarsedry to tell me that I was humongous for a human but suitable to be a hill giant avatar. Uhh.. yes, that or a motherlovin' VAMPIRE MODEL, sunshine. Berry also asked some questions about how we felt in regards to co-existing with mesh.

How has the introduction of mesh affected your SL, if at all? Are you open to wearing mesh often or do you still shy away from it?

I love some aspects of mesh; I love it rigged in hair because finally I get to wear the long male styles that I've craved. (Ignore the fact that I'm wearing a beehive in the picture above.) I like the way that pants can fall properly and sit around the ankles in a well formed shape, rather than tacking on prim cuffs that usually stretch out the texture of the system layer. I do have personal issues with the fit; being such a long torso I find that fitted jackets cut into my hips. I can avoid this by wearing the larger, bulkier sizes, but then I lose my own slimline shape.

My largest issue with it is a rant that I've mentioned several times in public now. It really cuts down on my options and therefore stifles my creativity. Why is that? BOOBS. Boobs can be a very, very good thing. Just... not on me. I've always taken women's clothing and adapted it to fit; this is how I got through the years 2008-2010 when there was almost a complete dearth of anything in menswear that was bright, fashionable and well made all at once. Now everything femme with a mesh top is out of bounds, and almost all the pants too. I get no leeway at all now; no resizing and modding to fit - and its super frustrating being kicked back to sulk in just the men's side of the store.

Have you changed your shape to fit into mesh? If so, did you go bigger or smaller?

Not my everyday shape! I waltz around being me and then when something new and meshy comes up, I tweak myself to fit. Not a full  body change, just tucking in bits that may otherwise give me a muffintop. I'm happy and secure in my shape, and I don't have any issues with adjusting the non-essential parts to fit.


Do you think the mesh deformer will resolve a lot of the issues people seem to have with mesh and will it encourage you to wear mesh more often, if you don’t already?

I am super looking forward to the deformer. It won't fix my main frustration, I don't need to be walking around with two empty bags where chesticles should normally go. But for fitting things to myself that are meant to be for a male? Yes please. Shirts especially; so far I've been avoiding things that are supposed to show the shape of the body and sticking to system layers for this - and reserving mesh for shaped items like jackets. You can't beat an all in one shirt with collar and sleeves though.


I've copped a fair bit of flack about my ridiculous height in the past as well as my - what was it, Dove Swanson? - "ape like arms and shoulders with the wingspan of a condor" - but that's my problem really, and its something that I have to deal with when I'm looking for poses to fit. I have been known to flounder in doorways, sink through floors and get caught in low hanging branches of trees... but its a really small price to pay when you can just pick the ladies up and sling them over one shoulder without even breaking a sweat.

And none of them ever seem to complain about it either.


1 comment:

  1. You know after all these years I never even realized just how much women's clothing you actually wore. LOL! You are my fashion God! *bows*

    Thank you so much for participating this year, you had me all giggly and happy when I saw it at first, even though on flickr you tagged me on your crotch again. :P

    Also, 9.5 my ass...just saying.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be scared, SAY IT.